A malfunction indicator lamp is mainly the light found on the dashboard of an OBP-equipped vehicle that must be illuminated as and when any malfunction is noticed. The malfunctioning activities can be like results in emission exceeding applicable emission standards.
There are messages on the screen, including “check engine” or “service engine .”The light that is commonly seen in the vehicle can be an indication of several things.
Based on the type of lighting, a person can frame an idea of the real reason behind light:
- If the flashes are occasional, then they work as the engine malfunction. Such a situation means the complete knowledge of light in advance to make the situation better in the future.
- Second is the situation when the light is continuous. It will indicate a serious problem that requires instant action to get the good working of the vehicle. Sometimes even if the situation is not difficult, it affects the car’s working.
- The most severe type of lighting is when the MIL flashes constantly. It will act as an indication that the engine is misfiring. As it is a significant issue, the engine must be stopped on time to avoid further problems.
Table of Contents
- What Does Malfunction Indicator Light Regulatory Mean?
- What Causes the Malfunction Indicator Lamp?
- Can I Drive With the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on?
- How Do I Get Rid of the Malfunction Indicator Light?
What Does Malfunction Indicator Light Regulatory Mean?
Having a malfunctioning indicator light means there is a critical issue with the car’s working. Mainly the main reason for such an issue with the vehicle is that there is a problem with the working of an engine of a vehicle. Sometimes the problem is even seen with the engine control system.
You can reset the malfunction indicator at any time with just simple steps. You can place the keys in the ignition and turn them on for a period of 1 to 2 seconds. If you repeat the task three times, then it will reset the malfunction indicator.
What Causes the Malfunction Indicator Lamp?
A malfunction indicator lamp is mainly a signal that depicts some issue in the working of a vehicle engine. The reason for the light can be minor, including a fault in the gas cap; sometimes, the light can be severe, like a misfiring engine.
You are not required to panic if you notice a malfunctioning indicator light. But this in no way means that you can ignore the light. There are high chances of the problem being minor, but a careful look at the problem is a must to avoid any severe condition in the future.
If the light is steady, then mainly problem is with the ignition or the emission system. Here if you get the idea, you need to have complete checking of the vehicle to ensure the present condition of the car so that the required actions can be taken.
Sometimes the light is also just a false alarm that might be due to some common reasons:
- Loose gas cap
- Disconnected plug
- Poor quality of fuel
If the light starts flashing, then the chance of something serious with the vehicle increases. If the problem is with other lights, like oil and temperature warning lights, then the thing is of significant concern.
Can I Drive With the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on?
An advisable option is not to drive a car if the malfunctioning indicator lamp is on. In such a situation, there might be damage to the emission control system and engine. If the light blinks again during the restart of the vehicle, then driving at 50 km/hr or even less will be a good option. Go for the proper checking of the car.
In such a situation advisable option is to park a vehicle at a safe place with no flammable items nearby and then just wait for 10 minutes. Waiting for this time will make the engine cool down.
You can drive the car for a few miles, but having the proper vehicle inspection is a must.
If the car turns out to be normal, then there is a requirement for attention to the vehicle. If the car is driving in a different way than normal driving, the situation might turn severe.
Some common steps will help in driving a car.
- What Else Is Wrong? Checking with the engine light ether can be an issue with the low oil pressure and overheating issues. If such lights are there, just pull over and turn off the engine on time. Red light n the engine will act as an indication that it is the right time to stop. Even yellow light will mean that the time is op inspection.
- Take It Easy: If there is a problem with the performance of the engine, then you can just plan to lower the speed and take it easy on the engine. A person driving a car must avoid increasing the speed of driving or loading heavy equipment. Ensure that you unload equipment on time to reach desired goals.
- Tighten the Cap: Even after refueling, ensure the gas cap is tight enough. If a leak is detected in the evaporative emission system, it requires the engine’s restart on time and in an effective manner.
How Do I Get Rid of the Malfunction Indicator Light?
There is diagnostic software that is available in the market for getting out of the situation. Using them, a person can easily eliminate the malfunctioning indicator light without facing any complications.
If you are facing a problem with the MIL light after you buy the car, you can either reset it at your level or consult a professional to get real results.
There are various options that you can opt for to get some actual results:
- Reset MIL
- Drive the car
- Turn the engine on /off
- Go for complete battery checking
- Use an OBD Code Reader
If you get to know about the cause of the MIL on time, then consulting a professional for the checking is a good option. At the initial stage, you can try to improve your elves, and after that, consult a professional to help you improve car efficiency.